For those with a sweet tooth – a healthy carob recipe with added cedar flakes for a Taiga twist. Enjoy as a healthy dessert or a snack throughout your day. The carob is often used as an alternative to chocolate – it has a natural sweet flavour which reduces the need for additional sweeteners in the recipes it is used in. Carob also has an array of health benefits that make it an attractive addition to healthy desserts.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 cups coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups carob powder
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups of mixed cedar flakes, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds (or any dried fruit/berry or nut that you would prefer to use)
- 1/4 tsp salt (can omit if preferred)
- You can also halve this healthy recipe to make a portion that serves two people.
- Prepare two baking trays with wax paper or a silicon baking sheet (to prevent sticking)
- Melt the coconut oil in a heat resistant bowl
- Add your carob powder, vanilla extract, dried cranberries, cedar flakes, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and sunflower seeds into the melted coconut oil and stir to combine well
- Pour the mixture out onto your two baking trays (as evenly as possible)
- Place the trays in the freezer or the fridge until the mixture has hardened (approximately 20 minutes)
- Once hardened, remove from the fridge or freezer and break up into pieces
- Serve immediately or store in a container in the fridge for a healthy snack whenever you feel like it!