Instead of buying pre-packed snacks, try out this recipe for crunchy homemade crackers made with wholesome ingredients and fragrant spices. Kids love them too!
wholemeal flour – 200g
wheat germ flour – 50g
butter – 125g
baking soda – 1 tsp
egg – 1
dried herbs de Provence or equal parts of oregano, thyme, mint – 6 tsps
ground black pepper – 0.3 tsp
salt – 0.5 tsp
- Get the butter out of the fridge in advance to make it soft.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (spices, baking soda and flour) in a bowl. Mash butter and salt in a separate plate. Then add an egg into the mixture and mix it again trying to make it homogeneous without any lumps. Next, add the mixture of dry ingredients and stir the dough by hand until it gets plastic, if it sticks strongly to your hands, you can add some more flour. After that make a ball, wrap it in a film and put it into the fridge for 2 hours, if the time is limited, you can put it into the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and leave it at room temperature for 5 minutes . Then sprinkle the workspace and a rolling pin with a small layer of flour.
- Cut the dough into two parts to make it comfortable to work with. Roll out the dough about 0.5 cm thick or a little more. Using moulds cut out figurines/circles or whatever you can imagine, then remove the rest of the dough and repeat the process until the dough runs out.
- Put crackers on a baking tray and into a preheated oven (the temperature depends on Your oven power, about 180 to 200), bake them up to a golden brown crust (for about 10 minutes).