Russian Cabbage Soup is one of Russia’s national dishes and a delicious hearty recipe to warm you up as the evenings get cooler. This recipe is vegetarian and can be adapted to vegan by removing the sour cream and replacing it with a vegan option or omitting altogether. This vegetable-rich recipe not only satisfies your hunger but also provides a diverse range of healthy vegetables.
What you will need for Russian Cabbage Soup:
- 2 tbs butter or vegetable oil
- 1pc stalk celery
- 1pc onion
- 1 medium cabbage, about 1 kg of cabbage
- 1pc carrot
- 2 – 3 potatoes
- 2 -3 tomatoes
- 8 cups water or vegetable stock for a richer flavour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh dill for topping (optional)
- Sour cream or yoghurt as a topping (optional)
- 1 tsp Cedar, Hemp, Flax or Sesame Oil for topping (optional)
- Chop up the onion, potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage and celery
- Peel and grate the carrot
- Fry the onion and then add the cabbage, carrot and celery. Cook until they soften
- Add the water or vegetable stock, the bay leaf and boil for a few minutes and then reduce the heat and cook until the vegetables are cooked but not soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chopped potatoes and cook until the potatoes are cooked but not too soft
- Add the chopped tomato and cook it the soup on a medium heat for about 15-20 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste, top with sour cream and fresh dill, drizzle with cedar oil and enjoy!
Disclaimer: This article may contain health or medical-related materials that were created for informational and entertainment purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The owners, authors, editors or other staff of Megre LLC are NOT qualified health professionals or researchers and are not responsible for any inaccurate or incorrect information on this website. The use of any information on this website is solely at your own risk.